Maui Disaster Response

NHLC is staffing the CNHA Kākoʻo Maui Resource Center at Maui Mall in Kahului.

Visit the Resource Center for an in-person consultation. No appointment required.

Contact Us for Help With FEMA Appeals.

Click the headings below for more information and resources.

How do I schedule an initial consultation to talk to an NHLC attorney?

  • Visit NHLC at the CNHA Kākoʻo Maui Resource Center at the Maui Mall in Kahului. NHLC is a CNHA service provider partner, and we are staffing the hub in person most days of the week. If you visit the resource center, CNHA staff can direct you to in-person or to a computer terminal for an on-the-spot virtual consultation with an NHLC attorney. For more information about the Resource Center, visit the CNHA website here:


  • Call NHLC at 808-521-2302. Office staff are answering phones Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.


  • Complete the form at the button above or using this link: Call volumes may be high during this time and that may make it hard to get through immediately to a person by phone. You can use the form to request that NHLC call you.

Requesting a consultation does not create an attorney-client relationship, but an NHLC attorney will speak with you to determine how we can help, including whether legal representation by NHLC is possible.

What services will NHLC provide?

NHLC is answering questions, providing legal information, and sharing referral information to those that need it. NHLC will also provide Native Hawaiian families with legal counseling and representation to:

  • keep family lands and homesteads. This may include needs related to insurance claims, FEMA disaster relief claims, probate, document replacement, and clearing title. Contact us if you need assistance preparing a FEMA appeal, because you were denied or deemed ineligible for aid.

  • protect cultural rights, including traditional and customary practices, sacred site protection, burial protection, and water rights.

To determine whether NHLC can assist you with your legal needs, the first step is to request an initial consultation. NHLC will then conduct a conflicts check, as required by attorney ethical rules, and schedule an initial consultation with you to understand your needs.

  1. The Hawaii State Bar Association Disaster Relief Hotline
    Call Toll Free: 1-888-533-2773

    Tuesday, Aug. 29th, Sept. 5th, 12th &19th
    Wednesday, Aug. 30th, Sept. 6th, 13th & 20th
    Thursday, Aug. 31st, Sept. 7th, 14th & 21st

    Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm

More information:

2. The Legal Aid Society of Hawaii

Maui and Other Neighbor Islands: 1-800-499-4302
Oʻahu: 808-536-4302
Phone Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-3:30
Legal Aid Society of Hawaii is also maintaining a Maui Disaster Response website with additional information:

3. Foster Law Offices – Insurance Concerns
Free info sessions regarding Insurance Claims
On Demand, Streaming of Presentations:

Jeff Foster practices insurance law. He is based out of Kona. He handled many cases representing homeowners impacted by the Kilauea diaster on Hawaii island in 2018. He is happy to take calls to provide legal information. His website contains information, self help resources, and information regarding how to contact him for questions.

  • Seeking Disaster Relief from FEMA

How do I file a FEMA claim for relief?

FEMA’s website provides information regarding the kinds of relief that FEMA is authorized to provide, and how to request relief. You can find the site for FEMA related to the Maui fires disaster is here: The deadline to register with FEMA is October 10th. Though the deadline may be extended, until an extension is confirmed you should treat October 10th as the final deadline and before as soon as you can. maui

If I file a FEMA claim, will my land be seized by the government?

FEMA cannot seize your property or land. Applying for disaster assistance does not grant FEMA or the federal government authority or ownership of your property or land.

Read more on FEMA’s website: Hawaii (DR-4724-HI):

What do I do if FEMA refuses my claim?

You have 60 days to appeal from the date you receive the decision letter. You can work with an attorney on your appeal. If you want legal help with an appeal, you should seek legal assistance as soon as possible after receiving the notice from FEMA.

  • Replacing Documents

I lost important personal documents, including birth, marriage, and death certificates and my driver’s license in the fires. How do I replace these?

Vital Records (e.g., birth, death, marriage certificates) for events that occurred in Hawai‘i are managed by the State Department of Health. Relatives can make a replacement request, if born in Hawaii, on behalf of individuals impacted by the Maui Wildfires. The fee for an affected individual’s first copy of a birth or marriage certificate will be waived with a FEMA disaster assistance ID Number and/or a Lahaina residential address.

You can reach the Maui Vital Records hotline at (808) 586-4602 Monday through Friday from 7:45 AM – 4:30 PM or send them an email to

For replacement driver’s licenses or Hawai‘i State Identification cards:

  • Predatory Behavior by Lawyers and Property Buyers

I have been contacted by attorneys to represent me. I didn’t ask them to call me. What should I do?

Attorneys are not allowed to solicit employment by direct in-person or social media, live telephone, e-mail, or text messages with few exceptions. Victims and/or their families are also protected from attorney communications involving personal injury or wrongful death unless the injury or death occurred more than 30 days prior to the communication or where the victim or family makes known that they want to be left alone.

You may submit a complaint to the Office of Disciplinary Counsel (“ODC”) by mailing a complaint form to “Office of Disciplinary Counsel, 201 Merchant Street, Suite 1600, Honolulu, HI 96813”

Click here to download the complaint form:

Read ODC’s press release regarding this issue:

I have been contacted with offers to buy my property. What should I do?

Members of the public receiving unsolicited offers to purchase their fire-impacted properties should report the name, place of business, telephone number, and address of any person to the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs’ (“DCCA”) Consumer Resource Center at (808) 587-4272.

Read DCCA’s press release regarding this issue:

This website includes information about waste removal, re-entry, safety guidance, and information regarding financial and housing resources.

Government agencies and private service providers, including many nonprofits, have online resources and guidance that may be useful for disaster victims. NHLC will make efforts to keep the below list updated. Important: These are not NHLC-provided resources. Though NHLC is only posting information that we believe to be published by reputable sources, these resources are provided by other parties and not necessarily endorsed, supported by, or vetted in all respects by NHLC.

  • Federal Government Sites


The Disaster Assistance websites:

  • News coverage on legal and other disaster relief resources

Free legal assistance, childcare and how to help | KHON2:

  • Mortgage Relief – Information and resources regarding mortgage relief:

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs | RELEASE: Relief Available for Homeowners Impacted by Maui Wildfires (

Bank of Hawai‘i offers assistance | News, Sports, Jobs – Maui News

Legal Aid Society: Disaster Legal Assistance – Real Property

How can I volunteer with NHLC?

Fill out the volunteer form using the Volunteer button at the top of this page or at this link:

What kind of volunteers does NHLC need?

Lawyers licensed to practice in Hawai‘i and paralegals will be the most needed to assist with community outreach and education, intake, clinics, and representation on cases. Substantive experience with insurance, disaster relief, probate, trusts and estates, family law, real property, environmental law, and Native Hawaiian law is most needed.

Experienced volunteers who can commit to regular, weekly service over at least the next 2 months will also be needed to help with: project management, communications, docketing, records management, and administrative support.

Trauma informed practice experience and experience serving indigenous communities preferred.

Do I have to be a lawyer or paralegal to volunteer?

No, experienced volunteers who can commit to regular, weekly service over at least the next 2 months will also be needed to help with: project management, communications, docketing, records management, and administrative support.